The United States Steel industry is very large, making steel one of the most popular type of metals to use in production. This also makes steel one of the most popular type of metal when it comes to scrapping.
There are many different types of steel and each one can be recycled in one way or the another.
Below are 5 of the most common types of steel and how you can recycle them:
- 17- 4 Stainless Steel - This type of steel is a specific type of alloy that generally does not rust. 17-4 stainless can be used in a lot of different areas including such specialized as medical parts for surgery. It is, however, most commonly used in the food, as well as, the aerospace industry. In order to be recycled, 17-4 stainless steel must be analyzed and have no attachments of any kind. By scraping this steel you usually can expect a good pay out.
- 300 Series Stainless Steel - This is the most common form of stainless steel. You can recognize it when it is not attracting to a magnet. Because the colors are similar, it is commonly mixed with clean cast aluminum. but 300 series stainless steel, however, is stronger and have more of a shiny texture compared to aluminum. This steel is often found in appliances and kitchenware as well as some automotive and aerospace technology.
- 400 Series Stainless Steel – This steel contains no nickel, is magnetic, and is most commonly identified with analysis. The carbon content in the 400 series makes this stainless steel magnetic which means you cannot identify it with a magnet, like most other stainless steels. 400 series stainless steel is most commonly used in exhaust systems because of its tolerance to high temperatures.
- 304 Stainless Steel- Similar to 17-4 stainless steel, 304 stainless steel is commonly found in kitchenware and must be analyzed, also have no attachments in order to be recycled. There are many things in our daily life that includes 304 stainless steel such as oven, patio grills, kegs, and coffee makers which makes 304 stainless steel easy to access for recycling purposes.
- 316 Stainless Steel- Grade 316 stainless steel is commonly used in food preparation equipment, boating fittings, water filtration screens & springs. This stainless steel must be analyzed and have no attachments prior to scrapping process.